Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gone Farmer

After completing my diploma at an higher education institution in Kampala, I felt I had done enough as regards following the long standing tradition of school going, and so I would not go on to complete my degree just yet. I had already foregone starting my agricultural project for 2years, and 3 more years at the university just didn't cut it.

Myself the farmer on a field being cleared for planting.
Photo Credit: Stella
While pursuing my diploma I partnered with a friend but the partnership went awry for I had borrowed some money to acquire a few piglets but months later I was in debt with very little to show for it but a few scraggly piglets and a ramshackle pigsty, for most of the piglets had died or gone missing without reason.

I don't consider myself a failure and to quit would have meant i had failed so I went back to the drawing board, the end result a proposal to purchase 40 piglets, I assured my creditor that no matter what I would succeed this time.And so with some money in hand I purchased 31 piglets rather than the planned 40, for the price of a piglet was not spared by the ongoing inflation and growing fuel prices.

Now several months later i have 50 pigs , when I walk into a pork joint in Kampala I look forward to the day when I will be served a plate gratis as a supplier.

No one really tells you  it's not as easy ...no wikigardens or wikifarms just wikileaks but its my chosen path and the journey just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment