Friday, October 21, 2011

Growing Maize

The rocketing food prices did not escape me as a pig farmer, I feed my pigs on maize bran, vegetation and when my pocket allows i buy blood from the cattle slaughter houses. However with the inflation I went from buying a kilogram of maize bran at 100 to 1200 Ugandan shillings in the space of 3 months. It was so difficult to adjust to these high prices, and so i decided to grow some maize, the plan was to mill it into flour for sale and feed the bran to my pigs, with about 50 pigs to feed this would be quite a saving......perfect idea right!

And so I leased some 10acres of land, had it cleared and the maize planted, i was to learn that maize is not as easy a crop as i expected, well I guess this being my first crop I had a lot to learn, there was the planting  season for instance, Nanda has two planting seasons as opposed to my home village in northern Uganda where maize is grown once a year. I also learned that the maize crop required two weeding rounds in a singular plating if the crop was to do well. It  was a tough planting season but i have taken the lessons the same mistakes will not be made next plating season.

No comments:

Post a Comment